Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wicked Tribe Forum Index -> News and General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kam`
Janitor

re: A new "private" WoW server.

While searching for work at the coder/admin level of MMOGs, and a place to test my "1337 haxxor skillz" (and very bad typing)- I've become involved in the past 4-5 weeks with "private" or "free" WoW Servers.

One that stands out above all others (and yes this has sucked some of my time away from Doomhammer, as any job-change would)- is WoWRage, a strikingly well-done European Server (physically located in the Netherlands, but whose offical Language is English, and whose offical client version is 2.3.0 enUS).

Drop by and register, sign up for a free account or two, and create some characters. Levelling from 1 to 70 is accellerated by about 3000%-- other than that, and a few broken items (most noteworthy of which are Pets) and abilities, and scripted quests-- it is rather "blizz-like" in look and feel.

This is just for fun, and with the best of intentions, I suggest to you, giving it a shot, and trying it out.

Switching back and forth between wowrage and "retail"- is rather simple, and involves editing one file (realmlist.wtf) with Notepad. Instructions for this and Connecting to WoWRage are posted on their server's Forums, and are quick and easy to to follow.

=)

www.wowrage.nl
Aladdin
Friend of WT

OMW tongue out
Vilvaldi
Guild Leader

Just a quick question. I went to the site read the directioons, do I really have to make a compy of my wow folders?? Started to do it and pc told me estimated time 207minutes...... But if it is safer i'll take the time and do it
Beefus
Officer

That's what I did, and it gave a rediculous amount of time at first, but in the end it only took like 30 minutes... it's not a bad idea if you have the disk space and have the time, but if not, just go ahead and make a backup of your realmlist.wtf file and make the new one etc... noc says it shouldn't break your wow...
Kam`
Janitor

It doesn't "Break" WoW really, that's an overexaggeration; it's just better safe than sorry is all.

My number one suggestion is to have your retail account name and pw be different than your wowrage account name and password..

For Example, if one's retail login is:

Name: Fighter123
Pass: Haha321

That you sign up on wowrage as:

Fighter123wr
Haha321wr

or something..

just so that Retail and WoWRage are slightly different.

All AddOns you are using now- work, and the offical client is 2.3 enUS.
Vilvaldi
Guild Leader

we'll see what happens, hopefully see you all there soon since i have officially retired from work!!!!!! And noone seems to play on doomhammer anymore i dont really have a choice
Kam`
Janitor

I'm both places off and on, given what time of year it is, and the mountain of stuff on my shoulders IRL atm... You will notice that on the emu-server there are alot of skills and spells which don't work or don't work all the time, and also that there many quests which are uncompletable because they're "scripted" on retail- and those scripts aren't copied on the emu.

But it is fun, really fun sometimes...
Beefus
Officer

What was fun was a shaman specced 61/64/66 duelling a druid with slow, ice armor, and pom... even though I lost it was still some damn good duelling.
Sunuani
Friend of WT

*grumble* Won't let me copy. Using wondows Vista anyone else with this problem? If so any suggestions. Thanks Happy
Subterfuge!

Mhm.

My suggestion is to start from scratch.

Install wow and patch up to what wowrage is patched too. 2.4.2 is what it is right now. (You have to pay attention)

Once it gets there stop. And then make a new folder on your C drive or D drive. where ever you like.

Highlight the World of Warcraft folder and copy it. right click copy or ctrl c.

Paste it into your new folder... I suggest naming it WoWRage.

In the world of warcraft folder load it up and log in your retail. patch that to whatever retail is up to.

Go in the wowrage folder. make sure your realmlist jazz is taken care of and there ya go.

Any other problem you'd probably have to tell us a bit more specifically
Kam`
Janitor

<- Non-Vista-user i had no troubles just copy-pasting "World of Warcraft" folder with Xp Pro, then renaming it (from Copy of Wold of Warcraft). as for Vista though- it seems to have BIG problems ...

Quote:
Vista Copy/Paste misses files
I've just encountered another Vista oddity that spells danger for sysadmins, and perhaps someone else may have an answer or explanation that leads to a better practice for us...

Situation: A Vista install becamse corrupted (laptop lost power resuming from hibernation) and Vista SRT is unable to repair it. I had to take a backup before reinstalling. I removed the HDD, put it into another Vista machine, right-clicked the User's folder, COPY, right clicked the backup destination, PASTE. Simple huh? NO!

Firstly Vista throws the privilege elevation dialog at me (and that's another grump for another thread), then after I elevate from All-Powerful(not) Administrator to All-Powerful(kind-of) "User with Administrator" rights the copy started.

BUT two weird things then happen...

1) Despite it copying to a totally new file structure it came up with a "There is already a file with this name in this location" message - this is not possible unless Vista itself created the duplicates for some reason.

2) Once the copy was finished I compared folder sizes/file numbers. Totally different! The target has thousands of files missing. The difference seems to be the AppData folder (OK it may not be important as I am reinstalling anyway but still...) Whilst copying it did ask me about 8 conflicts because files "existed" in the target, and I skipped those 8. But not several thousand.

So what's going on here - can anyone explain Vista's "selective" copy process or tell me what I did wrong, or suggest a better way of backing up user data?

And many thanks in advance to all who assist via forums - you are good karma personified!
Cheers,
john
Posted: 09/10/2007 @ 08:07 PM (PDT) (edited 09/13/2007 @ 08:45 PM (PDT))

Dunno if that is a problem you are seeing or not, but yes, it seems that it will be simpler and more time efficient just to install WoW again in a new area on your hard drive and patch up to 2.4.2

Miss ya Sunny!
Subterfuge!

Agreed.

I would screen shot what I had, but I got rid of my copy for retail a while ago. Im sure if you made a new folder in your C drive, and copied your wow into that folder, it should work.
Sunuani
Friend of WT

I just redid that whole download heh it sucked but maybe I'll do it again . Ah well sounds like vista does not like to make copies of files and will probably corrupt them if I do so...I'll just wait for the free server to catch up and I'll be there with you guys...will prolly let my retail lapse again payment wise as Warhammer has been an absolute blast in beta Happy I know you all hate to hear it hehe
naioro

There are some irritating security measures in Vista which you can pass and maybe will help. I can do everything like I could on XP. You have to have administrator rights. If something does not work (app) then right click on it and "Run as administrator."

User Account Control (UAC)
* control panel -> user accounts -> turn user account control on or off (off)

Secure Desktop
business and ultimate versions:
*control panel -> administrative tools -> local security policy -> local policies -> security options -> User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation (disable)

home version:
*start -> run -> (type in 'regedit') registry editor -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System -> PromptOnSecureDesktop (change to 0)

This helped me very much and made my windows very XP like. I have no problems with it at all.

I am not sure if it's the answer to your problem but like I said, it was the answer to many problems for me.
Vilvaldi
Guild Leader

Well I guess I lied last night and even though Sunni can figure out the patch thing, I unfortunately cannot. Many apologies Ms. Sunni. Could use some help, within my WoWrage folders where i keep a copy of wow I see all the patches which does NOT include 2.4... , but when I load the launcher, it begins downloading past patches up to 2.4... , confused. How do I stop it from going for 2.4, or are you guys close to getting 2.4 up and running????
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wicked Tribe Forum Index -> News and General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: