Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wicked Tribe Forum Index -> News and General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolusEmsu
Officer

re: Something I took from the WoW forum

Quote:
Half the fun of an RPG is [in] enjoying the journey, which is something I don't think the new gaming era cares much for at all. Growing your avatar's power is like watering a plant and watching it flower. It seems really silly to me that when we see adversity we think we have to "solve" it instead of just progress through it.

This, so much this.

Older RPGs were designed to be re-played, without some stupid reason to do so like achievements for beating the game with A and again with B.

The journey is what makes a game replayable. The combat system and such, not the cutscenes, are why people play more than once. Great cutscenes are okay, but once seen the first time, most subsequent times they are skipped. WoW is no exception to this.

Getting to the Bethla Garrison and gaining access to Cid and the Excalibur is a big deal, every time you reach that point on FFTactics. Getting each of KOS-MOS' weapons, if you use her, is a big deal every time you play Xenosaga. Getting the Master Sword/X-Buster Upgrade/Masamune/KOTR Materia/Erdrick's Armor/Kaiser Dragon Form/Hengir Monster/Sol Katti, etc. is always a big deal in these games, because they have the power to change the way you play the remainder of the game.

A problem with WoW is that, because it is a perpertual experience rather than having an ending, each upgrade must be toned down so much as to be non-plateau. Instead of feeling more powerful, like your character just blossomed, you instead rarely ever notice any improvement at all once you hit max level. A few times during leveling might get this feeling, such as Shaman hitting 87 and gaining Ascendance, which is just damn OP. But even if you get a new tier of weapon (arguably the equipment piece which has the largest solo impact on your performance), it is just another drop in the tank.

Thoughts?
Vilvaldi
Guild Leader

I get what's being said but for me it seems that something significant has changed or a number of small things has and I cant really pin point it.

Right now on Vil I feel this slow tedious grind for rep and VPs and I hate it. I cant even remember what I did in Cata for fun after level cap but this current situation wasn't it and this current method sucks.

I wasn't doing dailies, realized I kind of had to so I did Kalaxi to exhaulted. And started on Lotus... I am stalled on Lotus cause I am bored shitless with it. I know I need to do it but I cant bring myself to do so. Instead I am grinding out my scribe hoping for Harmony drops to make Vil a staff. At least the quests change.

I read an article today in some gaming magazine, I'll find out what it was and circle back with the title. It was well written and basically said Panderia is one of the WORST things this game has ever seen, for the casual up to the hardcore, 62% of player base interviewed are not pleased. And want to see some major improvments before the continue with this series. Out of the people polled, 78% of those with a year contract wish they did not have the contract.
SolusEmsu
Officer

Yeah, the move to full-on Dailycraft was apparently a bit of a shock to many people. I am not sure why, it has been steadily moving in this direction since late TBC. But it is full-on now.

They did things this expac to make the dailies "more" enjoyable, like having 3-4 different sub-zone sets of them for most of the factions, like how you do the spider dailies one day, then the mantid dailies another, then the saurok dailies the next, when you are doing the Klaxxi stuff. The Golden Lotus dailies have five! quest hubs, and you get randomly put to doing 1-3 per day, and their plots change some days. It is neat, and interesting .. for your first character, maybe. Not once you get on an alt or after doing them all through. The Golden Lotus is also one of the longest rep grinds ever in WoW through dailies, since you only get 100 rep per quest, rather than the 250 from most other factions per quest.

The spirits of harmony are still not BoA, which is bullshit. That "soon^tm" needs to be sooner. Zaka can -still- use that staff from inscription as well, due to a lack of main-hand weapon drops.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wicked Tribe Forum Index -> News and General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: